PDF downloading problem click here and Read First.

Search for Books Type Author or Book Name

Masterpieces of Urdu Ghazal from 17th to 20th Century


If you have heard of Ghalib and Mir, and want to know more about urdu poets and ghazals, this is the book. A collection of ghazals and short biographies of the most prominent names in urdu including Wali, Dard, Mir, Ghalib, Faiz, Iqbal and Firaq. The book helped me in several ways: 1) Introduced me to the excellent poetry of some of the names I was not very familiar with, like Mir Dard. 2) Helped me to completely decipher the meaning of many verses I had often heard but didn't quite understand. 3) Helped me in improving my persian reading skills, a script that I recently learned. As all the verses were presented in persian and roman scripts along with the english translation, I had the choice of the most appropriate tradeoff between 'ease of understanding' and 'accuracy' according to the difficulty level of each verse. Lastly I must mention that the preface to the book and the introductory piece on the tradition of ghazal are very well written as well.

Read Online


No comments:

Post a Comment

Install Our Android App

Install Our Android App
Latest Version